Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mama's Boy

This past weekend, I finally saw the movie " I Don't Know How She Does It". It'd been on my "movies to see" list for a while, and it did not disappoint. One of my favorite lines in the movie is when the main character, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, describes her relationship with her 2 year old son..that being a mom to a 2 year old boy made her feel like a supermodel everyday because in his eyes she was perfect and could do no wrong.

While I doubt Colin thinks of me as a supermodel, I knew exactly what she meant. The bond between Colin and I is very special right now. I am his world, and he makes up a big part of mine. I am the one constantly by his side, holding his hand, interpretting his baby talk, meeting his needs and wants, playing with him...I'm there when he wakes up and the last person he sees before he goes to bed. Often times, if Evan gets home before Colin goes to bed, when he picks Colin up, he immediately wants to come back to me. While I feel bad for Evan when this happens, I can't but help feel a little special.

I have to admit I love this time in our mother/son relationship. I know it is just a season. Probably before I know it, he won't be reaching for my hand, laughing at my sillly faces and giving me his constant preference above everything else. One day there will be a shift...time with Daddy will become more fun and Mom may not be the center of the universe anymore. Then in the teenage years neither of his parents will get much attention and eventually  his future wife will then become the center of his universe. This is all ok and the natural order of things, I know this, but boy  I am going to soak up EVERY. SINGLE. MOMENT of Mommy and Colin time.

No comments:

Post a Comment