Thursday, May 24, 2012

Diapers

I've become a part time cloth diapering mama. I wouldn't even classify it as part time, more a quarter of the time. I read this post, and it inspired me to try cloth diapering, which is something I had wanted to do when I was pregnant, but quickly abandoned when I actually had a newborn and saw how many diaper changes  poop came out of this little boy.

One thing I learned, that I didn't read anywhere in my research, is that cloth diapers have to be changed more often than disposables. Colin developed  a bad rash from having his cloth diapers on too long, so instead of investing more money in buying more cloth diapers ( i bought 6 to start), I decided to just use them around the house. Check out Colin in his cute BumGenius cloth diapers:
He's still got the baby fat on his thighs, I won't be upset if it stays forever!

And since we're talking about diapers.... for a while now, I've been flushing Colin's business down the toilet, instead of throwing the whole thing in the diaper pail. I found that his dirty diapers were just too stinky, even for the diaper pail. I've started to involve Colin in this process. Whenever he has a "stinky diaper" which I say in my best "stinky" voice, Colin will now on his own walk into the bathroom and to the toilet. He waits for me to take off his diaper and then we dump his said stinky in the toilet and wave bye bye to it. While Colin is still too young for potty training, I think this association is a good starting point for him to understand where his "stinkies" go!


No comments:

Post a Comment